Metropolis Diorama
1/8th scale
Styrene Maria and throne by X-Plus
Resin Joh Frederson and Rotwang by Red Planet; Rotwang re-sculpted
Scratch-built base



This is a long story....

I purchased the two resin figures to go with a Maria Robot I already had (see the Toscano figure below).
Heck, where else was I ever going to find a kit of Joh Frederson and Rotwang?
When the figures came, I found that they were much too small for my Maria, so I bought the X-Plus kit.
I absolutely lost my mind trying to remove the pieces from the sprues - they were connected by extremely thick prongs. The pieces would break before the prongs would.
It took a looooong time to remove each piece and sand down the huge stubs that were left over from these prongs.

Painting Maria was fun - I primed her flat black and then drybrushed bronze, gold, and silver in that order. I got the idea from a YouTube video of Kendell Coniff's buildup.
I liked it so much that I'm probably going to re-paint my huge Masudaya Maria the same way (see below).


Then I took a closer look at Rotwang. It was as I feared from the pics online of this kit - Rotwang doesn't look like Rotwang at all.
That's probably the worst thing you could say about a figure model kit - "but it doesn't look like him...."

He looked like a California Surfer Dude of about 18 years of age in the picture from the web:

khg

I dremeled off the huge wavy bangs from the forehead and tried to dig some hairlines into the remaining hair to make up for my dremeling.



Then I needed a diorama...
The back wall is black foamboard with some wood studs in the rear for support. The base is a piece of unfinished wood from a craft shop.
I covered both with a thin, poorly spread coat of light modeling paste. When dry, I sanded it down a bit.

I then painted both the wall and the floor with brown rust, natural biege, deep taupe, and drizzle grey. When it was dry, I did a black wash over the whole thing.
I carved the star using a protractor as a guide, filled the trench in with copper paint, and then drybrushed drizzle grey over it to make it glow a bit.
I also drybrushed a bit of charcoal over the black throne to make it pop a bit.



 

 

MARIA ROBOT
1/4 scale, vinyl / scratch-built base of balsafoam, clay and wood
Produced by Masudaya, Japan, 1985




I finally bought one of these after being on the fence about it for years.
Once I opened the box and saw the figure, I knew it was the best Metropolis model out there.




The background is made of layers of balsafoam, glued together with two or three clay buildings between the layers.




The diamond top is a piece of birch plywood; the lettering is clay.
I printed it out, pushed the printout onto the rolled-flat clay, and cut it out with a sharp X-Acto knife.
That took multiple attempts....



Boy, did they nail the face on this one.
There's another, older 1/4 scale Maria that I had (pictues are below)
where the face unfortunately reminded us of my little daughter's best friend.
Now that was weird.....

MARIA FROM "METROPOLIS"

1/8th scale, cold cast porcelain from Toscano for real cheap!
Scratch-built base from balsafoam



Honest to God, I got this from Toscano. Hunt around for it - I think it was about $20.

 


I made the base out of a bunch of balsa foam; it's based on a still from the movie:


I also did a black wash over the whole statue and then wiped it off. It made it look so cool!


 


1/4 scale, resin, sculpted by Scott Whitworth, produced by KitKong Mansion.
Back wall scratch built by Tim and Tara Casey.


A thing of beauty to behold!
I originally spray-painted the whole robot metallic gold and lived with that for a week, during which time I noticed how much she looked like an Oscar.
So I did a few washes of black do give her more of a steampunk look.

 


We replaced the thin plexiglass platform with real glass. This is a large and heavy model, and we were afraid the platform would warp over time.
We also added a piece of balsafoam sprayed with one of those faux-texture spray cans,
and Tara graciously cut the plexiglass strips for the rear wall. They were then glued together and sprayed gold.

A detail of the original base:


 

 

get in touch

back to the Model Museum